Saturday, November 03, 2007

Weekend update

Rambling thoughts on a Saturday morning:

It can be a challenge to maintain faith in people these days when the me-me-me ethic seems to have become the norm in American society. A friend was reminding me at lunch today how different things are in Europe where, for example, they don’t have to erect big fences around obviously dangerous things like railroad tracks or electrical transformers. The operating assumption in European society is that if someone is dumb enough to get hurt being somewhere that they obviously shouldn’t be, dealing the consequences of that behavior is the responsibility of that individual.

As a momentary antidote to our rampant me-me-me-ism, I’ve provided this link to a story about a member of the MLB champion Boston Red Sox who gets it. He gets that he is being paid handsomely to play a game, and that kids look up to him, and that it would be a good thing to give something back in a low-key yet meaningful way.

In view of the long-suffering Sox now having won two of the last four World Series titles, though, I do feel compelled to close with a quote from the most frustrated New York Met fan in America, Jon Stewart: “How can you be lovable if you don’t lose?!”

No comments: